1- Plan: Optimize your schedule
- When you plan your tasks for the day, plan according to the way you feel. When are you at your most tired, when do you work your best. Make sure to plan your priority work at a time you work at your best. The best return on time invested comes from that 20% of your day really focusing on your priority work.
- Minimize distractions. Lock your door or have a sign on it, go somewhere else to work if it helps. Do whatever it takes to not get distracted by others. Turn off your phone or put it on silent.
- Manage interruptions by scheduling a time for them. Plan a time for phone calls or to answer questions for example or a time to play with the kids.
- Be aware of your choices. We all tend to procrastinate on tasks that we either don’t like doing or are hard to do. Do those first and concentrate on how you’ll feel once those are accomplished.
- Don’t over-commit yourself at the expense of your priority work or well being, you will do a disservice to yourself and to the person you are commiting to. The key is finding balance. You don’t actually need a reason to say no. Set boundaries and be clear on what your priorities are.
Focusing on something means doing something and thinking about it at the same time and doing just one thing at a time. To do that we need to put ourselves in the best conditions possible.
- Turn off your phone’s notifications
- Don’t check your emails every 5 min
- Limit social media interaction to only every 4-6h
- Take 5 min breaks every 25 min with a timer and move around and breathe.
- Make sure you’re eating and drinking and have a good night sleep
Time management starts with good habits that you do consistently. Manage your time and you will become more productive, feel less stress and anxiety, have less wasted time and ultimately experience a better life/work balance.
Sophie Bent is a Professional Organizer & Productivity Consultant @Bent On Organizing, LLC. She is a NAPO Specialist in Residential Organizing in South Florida and has been organizing businesses and homes since 2008. Contact her at 561-404-7181 or www.bentonorganizing.com